I am a Vagabond-class Heavy Assault Cruiser...
I am about to engage an enemy battlecruiser, the Brutix slowly turning toward me, its blasters training.
My eyes see with the strength of a sensor suite, my ears hear the synthetic sound of the void outside, the buzz of dozens of reports passed along inside me.
I am my ship, and it is me, I can feel it the way I can my hand or my face. My body is at once both a small soft thing trapped inside a capsule, and a warship spanning hundreds of meters.
I am speed, and guns, and prediatorial purpose. Alone, I can bring down a ship many times my size, and those cumbersome beasts too big to take down I can easily dance away from. But, like a true predator, in a pack there are few things I can't hunt.
My drones burst from my hull, orbiting me, recognizing the target, their simple AIs requesting attack instructions, like five hunting dogs pulling on their master's leash. I let them slip, and they tear toward the target, each filled with that same relentless purpose.
I can feel my meat body savagely grin as my guns reach out into the black, sending tens of thousands of burning rounds into the distance, into my target. The guns echo in my hull, in my ears, the synthetized ripping noise deafening as the rotating barrels turn molten hot.
I watch as the enemy ship begins to break apart, as my shells rend it asunder. The cheer of the 400 warriors in my hull becomes my own, me and my crew joined in the one pristine moment. I was born for this. I was built for this.
Its hard to describe to a non-capsuleer what it feels like when you link with a ship, with a crew.
But after you do it once, it stays with you....always. Part of you never leaves the capsule again.
No comments:
Post a Comment