I am a man of 21 winters.
I used to be a slave, a thug, a criminal, a junkie, a condemned murdered.
According to my government's records, I am now nothing. I do not exist.
I have no name, no history, no past, and most likely no future.
All I have is the present. The painful, grueling, miserable present.
I am an inmate in Class 5242.
Our instructors tell us we are being trained to become Valklear. The truth of it is we are being gradually executed, one at a time.
We started with 402 inmates, murderers and thieves and criminals all. Four-hundred and two gifted criminals chosen to join perhaps the most notorious group of soldiers and killers in the cluster. They said twenty three of us would die within the first seventy two hours.
They were wrong. Twenty five of us died in those first three days.
We are just over three months into training.
I am standing at attention on the Grinder, the concrete slab that sits at the center of our hellish world. The sun is beating down on me mercilessly. I don't even know the name of the star for me to give it a proper curse.
But I loath it. I loath everything about this place in a way that is beyond rational thought.
My skin is red and blistered. My eyes painfully squint into the blazing desert sun. Sweat pours down my face, stinging my already squinting eyes. It's maddeningly uncomfortable. But Class 5242 is called to attention. To wipe my eyes with my hand at attention, to move at all, would bring neural-pain baton discipline for me and my entire training squad. So I endure.
The survivors of Class 5242 stand at attention on the Grinder, three long rows, aligned from the shortest recruit to the tallest. During training, I've stood shoulder to shoulder and bunked with murderers and thieves and rapists and worse. I used to detest their presence.
But now, I do not hate them, look down on them, nor fear them anymore.
Those feelings are saved solely for my instructors.
Oh how I hate them.
I hate them with a strength that I could not have believed I had. My hate is pure, perfect, almost awe-inspiring in its brilliant intensity. My loathing for them rivals that of the overseers of my youth, something I did not believe possible.
Even as my body fails during yet another round of punishing training, even as my mind recoils from the otherworldly agony of yet another application neural-pain baton discipline, I cling to my spite with a singular focus. My hatred of the instructors has been forged and compressed under the intense pressure of this place, becoming something crystalline and unbreakable. I treasure it.
Swaggering, savagely cruel, mocking, Bruk'cha-licking, bullying, faux Amarrian overseers, each and every one of them.
I am by no means the only recruit who hates them. Its the one thing that unites us all, binds us as a class and as a group. We all have the same ghost of a sneer on our face every time we're faced with one. I can sometimes hear my fellow recruits faintly curse every time one walks by.
We all hate them, for we've suffered agonies at their hands, and we've all seen their handiwork up close.
I have seen insubordinate inmates shot, watched as their head exploded into a red mist, quickly followed by the faint, echoing boom of a distant sniper rifle.
I've seen two inmates attack an instructor with handmade shanks, heard the sickening snap as the instructor effortlessly broke the neck of one, then watched as he then slowly and deliberately slid the shank into the carotid artery of the other doomed recruit as the recruit begged and pleaded for mercy.
I've seen the bodies of men who tried to escape and failed, their corpses tangled in the razor-wire surrounding this place, left there by the instructors for days on end as a silent warning to the rest of the recruits. Everyday, we watched the carrion eaters pick at the desiccatedbodies, watch as the sun turns their bodies to something resembling jerky.
I've seen men not be able to keep up on the conditioning runs or the physical training, dropping out of ranks as either their will or their body gives out. We do not see them again.
I've seen the sickening sight of a recruit convulsing as the bio-toxin capsule in his body is activated. Watched as his body was wracked from muscle convulsions and seizures, seen as he slowly choked to death as we all had to stand at attention and watch.
And death is hardly the only punishment here.
We're dropped for exercises regularly, holding ourselves in the push up position under our arms threaten to give way, then commanded to knock out yet another set. The work outs had started off somewhat mundane, and I was heartened by how easily my body handled them.
That soon changed.
I quickly realized they had started off easier for the sake of the less physically adept recruits, but the instructors quickly and methodically pushed us harder and farther with every PT session. Soon, the work outs were mind numbingly intense, beyond what I thought was humanly possible. My body was custom tailored through gene-splicing for physical exertion in high-gravity worlds, yet I still wake up in the pre-dawn morning so sore I can barely move.
I am silently amazed and humbled at the determination of some of the less athletic and older recruits, as they force their bodies through evolution after evolution with nothing more than strength of will and a smoldering hatred of our tormentors. I've realized that when their bodies eventually match their will, they will be frighteningly formidable men.
But not even the brutal physical training comes close to the agony of the neural-pain batons.
Short of execution, the neural-pain batons serve as the most severe punishment handed out by the instructors. Such discipline is handed out with painful regularity, sometimes for the smallest infraction. And if one man makes a mistake, then the entire training platoon suffers for it, for they tell us such is the way of war.
Their use is simple. They're pressed against our chest, activated, and then they brutally stimulate almost every nerve ending in our bodies. Intense pain, cold and heat courses through you, the unimaginable pain merging into a torturous symphony.
I've endured whippings, beatings, lost as many fights as I've won, fought through Dust withdraw, felt crippling hunger pains and more, but nothing in my life compares to the unearthly pain of the batons. There is no way to simply grit your teeth and endure it. The pain invades every part of you, savagely bringing you to your knees both physically and emotionally.
We are always disciplined with neural-pain batons as a unit, in ranks. There are few things more tormenting than waiting passively at attention as the instructor works his way down the line, listening to the progressively closer electric hum followed by the sound of each man falling to his knees, knowing your own reckoning is coming.
And woe be to any man who cries out. We are taught to endure all pain in silence, for only one grunt or moan can give away a position, and jeopardize the mission.
We've all learned to endure much in silence. Pain, desperation, anger, hopelessness, and raw spite boil within each of us, held back by the thinest of margins behind our seemingly passive faces..
I stand at attention on the Grinder, staring out past the razor-wire fence, at the swirling heat rising off the desert mountains and the mirage of a seemingly refreshing lake simmering on the horizon. I can all but feel the blazing sun biting into my skin.
My right knee aches from where I slipped on loose gravel during a conditioning run, my back throbs from where I twisted it moving through the obstacle course, and my left shoulder pops painfully every time I try to move my arm over my head, along with a host of other more minor injuries. I file away my various aches and pains methodically and dispassionately, for future reference for use in whatever training evolutions that will soon be demanded of us. I feel something akin to an engineer on an ancient and derelict star ship, doing his best to keep as many systems operational as he can, while finding ways to jury-rig his way around the failing ones. I have to find some way to keep my body going.
I subtly look down the ranks of recruits out of the corner of my eye. Many of my fellow recruits seem far worse off physically than I am, some of them struggling to even stand at attention. But the hard set of their eyes belies the sorry state of their bodies.
We have nothing, we recruits. No freedom, no luxuries, no dignity, no mercy, and little hope. Even as a slave I had more than this. Actually completing the training and becoming a Valkear seems a distant and unrelateable notion, even laughable at times. Our lives and goals are lived one day, one hour, even one training evolution at a time.
The only freedom we have left is a choice whether to give in and accept however The Powers That Be choose to execute us, or to keep going, if for no other reason than to say "fuck you" to those who seek to break our bodies and will. None of us left seem willing to give in, those who wavered have long since been weeded out. Those of us left all share the same defiant look in our eyes, if not necessarily in our bodies.
I accepted that I was most likely going to die in this place a long time ago. But I'll be damned if I just let them kill me. And the men standing next to me seem to have made the same choice as I did.
"Fuck you" seems good enough last words as any.
For the first time, I feel something almost resembling pride to be standing with these men.
Class 5242 now stands at 249 inmates.
Our ranks are significantly shorter than when we began. We are watched over my a pair of instructors armed with assault rifles and transmitters that can activate the toxin capsule implanted in each of us. But by now, we know its a formality. We're more than aware that snipers watch our every move.
We were ordered to wait until our new instructors arrived. So we wait. I can feel the heat rising from the black graveled Grinder. It gives the Farm a shimmering, translucent appearance. The chronic lack of sleep we've endured only adds to the dreamlike quality of the place.
Finally three new instructors begin to walk toward the front of our assembled ranks. They're speaking amiably to each other, smiles on their faces, as they make their way to the front of the Grinder. The bastards don't even seem to be sweating. One of them appears to be Brutor, another has marks and the complexion of a Vhekior, while the Staff Sergeant-Trustee at their lead is unmistakably Krusual.
We watch, their relaxed joviality and easy movements an open insult to our battered bodies and resentful stares. They seem to chuckle at a shared joke, then they finally seem to turn to us, as if we were an unpleasant afterthought. The Krusual Staff-Sergent steps forward, his dark eyes move over our ranks as he begins to speak.
"I'm sure you've all heard the stories, that Valklear recruits are somehow special, somehow unique, the most dangerous men to be found."
He all but snarls. "But that's not what I see. What I see are a bunch of dumb-ass, failed criminals, criminals so stupid and inept that you all allowed yourselves to be caught. So if you cant hack it as common thugs and thieves, I find it hard to believe you will hack it as the cluster's finest soldiers."
They are childish words, obviously trying to piss us off, the kind of constant, insulting language one sees from drill instructors in bad military holo-reels. It's nothing we haven't heard before. But we're all simmering with repressed hatred, and I struggle to keep my contempt from my face. My emotions are so raw that I overlook the obvious irony that at one time, he, too, was a failed criminal standing exactly were we are. Irony is a civilized kind of humor, and what little of civilization I had within has been hammered out of me by this place.
"Unfortunately, you are all I have to work with, and my mission, and the mission of the instructors standing before you is to teach you combat. And we are not in the habit of failing our missions."
"Up until this point your tour through our beautiful resort has been built around relaxing physical training and trying to teach you worthless inmates how to do simple things like stand at attention and pass uniform inspections. But that is about to all change. My name is Staff Sergeant-Trustee Kyvek, and these Valklear next to me are Sergeant Karush and Sergeant Uolluer. We teach combat."
Kyvek continues, his loud and burly voice carrying just a slight Krusual accent. "Being Valklear is not about push-ups or room inspections. Being a Valklear is about war. It's about combat. And, inmates, I will not merely train you in combat. Any animal or simpleton can be trained. I will educate you in combat. You will know it intimately and intricately, you will know the hows and whys of everything you do in combat, or you will not graduate."
He slowly walks down the line, his eyes moving over the entirety of Class 5242. He seemed to be looking intently at each of us, bringing to mind a sculptor examining the raw stone he was given to work with.
"In order to graduate, it is not enough to be merely adequate in the skills we will teach you. Mediocrity will get you and your squad killed in the places Valklear must go. To succeed, you will have to excel. And I do not have to remind each of you the price of failure."
Kyvek finally stands at parade rest, his arms behind his back. It gives me a moment to examine him closer. I've known few Krusual in my days, but he appears to be an archetypical example of his tribe, with dark eyes and skin, his dark hair trimmed to a stripe, the sides of his head shaved. Though far smaller than I, he is well above average in size, with a powerful build I've found common in Valklear. He walks as a warrior walks, even if his swagger and sneer brought to mind an Amarrian overseer more than a soldier. His features are ill-favored, his face a harsh place of sharp angles and scars, but he stands with a confidence and authority that makes him a striking image in his uniform.
"For most soldiers, combat training begins with marksmanship and firearm training, but that poses us an interesting problem now doesn't it? We have no intention of handing over firearms to a group of failed violent criminals. So we are forced to train you in the only weapons you currently possess, that being your own bodies."
"Learning what we will teach you will take focus, discipline, team work, and above all humility. Prove to us you can learn what we will teach you, and maybe then we will think enough of you to put a rifle in your hands."
Kyvek grins savagely, showing his teeth like the predatory animal he is. "Now, I know what you're thinking. You're a group of hardened criminals. Killers even. Many of you have killed men with your bare hands already. I'm assuming that many of you feel you don't need this training, do you?"
I frown inside. I think I know where this was going.
I've seen slave foremen and gang leaders use the same tactic. When establishing leadership and mentorship over a group of predators such as these recruits, you first must make a demonstration why they should follow you, listen to you. You have to establish your dominance of the pack. Which means you call out their leader, or, failing an obvious leader, their biggest member, and you physically beat him in front of the rest of the pack. Which means he will call on the biggest member of Class 5242.
Which means Kyvek will call on me.
"Bookend! Front and center!"
The instructors have given some of us nicknames, since officially we now have no names worth mentioning. I am the tallest and biggest member of Class 5242. There were two recruits larger than I was at the beginning of training, two other recruits with obvious Vri'Tosh ancestory like myself. One was killed a week into training when he tried to attack an instructor, the other gave up on the obstacle course and was never seen again.
Since Class 5242's ranks are always shortest to tallest, I'm always at the far end. One of the instructors mockingly called me Class 5242's "bookend". The name stuck with the instructors.
I step out of ranks, and try to keep the rancour from my face. I've little doubt I will be killed. I'm an adequate brawler, but it's highly doubtful I'm the best fighter even among the recruits, and I've no illusions that I can take a Valklear combat instructor.
And Kyvek picked me for my size. My whole adult life, Ive been stared at, jeered at, because of my size. Because of what the Amarr did to my DNA, to the blood line of my people. Because of my size, everyone thinks I'm stupid or slow or both. I'm not stupid. I'm not slow. I just have to move slowly, and carefully, or I break things on accident.
I have to move slowly, or I break people on accident.
He picked me out of the ranks so he could beat me, most likely kill me. To prove a point. Simply because I was the largest criminal here.
I grit my teeth in a savagely bleak kind of joy. Fine, if Kyvek wants to fight me, and kill me, then so be it. The Amarr made me big.
They also made me strong. They also made me fast. They also made me tough.
And the Amarr made me spiteful.
If bruises on an Valklear's face are the last and only memorial I will leave of my life, then by the Ancestors I will make them as impressive and lasting as possible. I've been an embarrasment to my ancestors and my tribe all my life. I promise myself I will not embarrass them in this one last moment.
He waits as I walk toward the front of our ranks, a relaxed, almost bemused look on his face. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the eyes of Class 5242 follow me. Their stares range from blank to intense to something almost akin to sympathy. But I know my fellow recruits well enough to know each one, to a man, hopes to see me smear Kyvek all over the Grinder.
I stand at attention in front of Kyvek. He's waiting at parade rest, his uniform spotless and pristine. I can feel my camoflagled recruits' uniform soaked through with my sweat.
"Bookend, your orders are simple. Hit me." I look down at him a moment, my questioning eyes meeting his.
"You heard me inmate. Hit me or I will have you shot."
That was all the encouragement I need.
I grit my teeth and shoot in on at him, diving for his legs. I reason that the only advantage I will have against his skill and experience is if I can get him on the ground, where my size and strength would be telling. So I dive at his legs as quickly as I can, hoping to take him down quickly, my hands outstretched, head tucked in
I expected many things from him. I expected him to punch me, to kick me, to move away, to brace for my take-down attempt, or to go down to the ground with me.
I did not expect him to step in toward me.
Kyvek moves to meet my take down, and his right hand finds my face, right under my nose and over my eyes, and he lifts, guiding me upward effortlessly. He seems to all but walk through me. I cant see anything, but I feel as he uses my momentum against me, guiding my head up, and up, until I feel my balance give way, and he presses me back down, and my hips and feet fly out from under me, toppling backwards. Kyvek's movements take all of a fraction of a second, impossibly smooth and controlled.
I hit the grinder with a pained grunt, landing on my back, stunned from the swift movement and the unbraced fall. After I regain my sight, I see him looking down at me a few meters away, the smug bastard still at parade rest.
"I fear for your future as a Valklear," he says in a mocking tone as I struggle to find my feet again. Hate fuels me, I want nothing more than to see my hands around his throat. Behind him, I can see the ranks of Class 5242, their stares silently willing me on.
More measured in my movements this time, I move toward him as he stands patiently and utterly at ease in front of me, and I feel my lips snarl at the smirk decorating his harshly angled face. I begin to jab at him, testing his defenses, trying to find a way through them. He moves casually, batting aside my punches with relaxed, whiplash blocks that seem both effortless and utterly precise.
He moves around me, leading me, as I unsuccessfully swing on him again and again. Finally, he seems to slip by one of my wilder punches, his left hand defecting my punch to the side, his right hand flashing out, connecting with my ribs in that same relaxed and precise motion. I grunt in pain, amazed at the power in the seemingly quick and light punch, as his right hand seems to flicker up my boy, his palm connecting with my chin, driving my head back as the taste of iron and warm liquid fills my mouth.
In the fraction of the second I feel myself knocked back, I sense him slide even closer to me, his body seeming to move under my unbalanced center of gravity. I feel his arms and hands guide me over him, and the world seems to spin as he shoulder-throws me, and finally the black asphalt of the Grinder rises up to meet me painfully. I land heavily, struggling to keep from passing out.
I slowly pull breath into me, and I gingerly roll over to my side, then finally back to my feet. Kyvek stands in front of me, his smirk having blossomed to a full blown grin. I move toward him into combat range, frustration and anger propelling me beyond my injuries. As I line up a kick, he again surprises me. As my right foot leaves the ground, he kicks out across his body, in a cross hip kick technique I've never seen before, his right foot whipping out and catching my right shin, stopping my kick before it even begins.
I stagger forward, my balance throw off by my thwarted kick. In the fraction of a second it takes me to regain my balance, he slides inside my shoulders, his left hand flickering out, striking my throat in that same damnable quick, relaxed and precise manner.
My hand moves up to my throat instinctively as I try desperately to breath. My body is utterly stunned, and my torso all but screams its vulnerability. I try to regain control of my body, but I seem to watch in helpless slow motion as his right hand strikes out powerfully, driven by his coiled hips. His open palm connects with my diaphragm in a teeth-rattling explosion, and I stagger back from the blow.
My entire chest seems frozen, as if my body has forgotten how to breath. His blow hardens inside me into a painful iron ball, and the sound of my failed breathing staggers out of my mouth. Kyvek fades in front of me as blackness creeps into the edges of my sight, and I fall to my knees, then to the grinder, as my body systematically fails me.
I spend the next tortured moments in a desperate struggle to breath, my body curling in on itself. I can make out the sound of Kyvek's voice in my ear as he seems to address the class. Raw spite and shame drags me from the encroaching darkness, and suddenly my chest seems to burst back to life, and air finally finds my desperate, burning lungs. I breath deep once, twice, and third time, and the world slowly comes back into focus. Kyvek's words drift into coherence, "...will devote yourself to learning what we will teach you. This will require teamwork and humility, fail in these and...."
I look up. Kyvek's back is turned toward me, standing maybe a meter away. As far as I know, the exercise is over. To lay a hand on an instructor means you die.
And this moment, I couldn't care less. This fight isn't over yet.
I reach out, my hand wrapping around his ankle, and I pull savagely. Kyvek hits the ground heavily, and I drag him to me. I pull myself on top of him, and I start raining blows down on him. My first punch connects with his ribs, and I hear him grunt in pain, a sound that makes me grin fiercely. I can hear my classmates in the ranks begin to quietly cheer me on, their encouragement nothing more than soft mutters and half-heard cat calls, but the sound spurs me on.
Bastard isn't smirking now.
Kyvek moves to his back, on guard, but on the ground my greater size and strength gives me the chance to push his guard aside. I reach out, my left hand finding his throat, and my right hand pulls back, and my vision tunnels to his face, and my whole being condensed into the task of hitting him as hard as I can before the snipers kill me. I hammer down, and his hands cushion and defect most of my punch, but it still connects and grazes his face with some force. I pull my hand back, positioning myself for a more solid strike. I need to hurry before the snipers kill me, or someone activates the poison capsule lodged in my body.
But before I can bring my hand down, his right hand strikes out, under my arm, his thumb piercing into my armpit, his finger clawing into my extended lat and shoulder muscles. His thumb and fingers do not merely find nerve clusters, they seem to violate my entire nervous system, and my entire left arm and shoulder shutter in pain and nerve overload. I grimace and hiss through clenched teeth, pulling my left arm from his throat, sucking it in, trying to dislodge his invading grip.
Which is what he was planning for.
His left hand snakes past my arms, and his hand, fingers and thumb shaped as a claw, finds my face. His thumb digs into the flesh under my jaw, while his middle and index fingers dig into my eyes with a bright burst of pain and color. He does not merely poke my eyes, but seems to bury his fingertips deep into my skull, and my tortured optic nerves and the intense pain paralyze my mind and body.
Kyvek rolls me off of him, my head an unwilling passenger to where ever his hand guides me. His body follows mine, moving on top of me, the aggressor this time. I roll onto my back limply, my hands finally finding enough life to try to pull his hand from my face. When he rolls on top of me, his hand leaves my face, but I feel his knee savagely lift up, ramming into my groin, sending a new burst of pain into my body. I finally open my ravaged eyes. Everything is doubled, and even that image is blurry and watery.
I see him move over me, a dark form silhouetted against the blue desert sky. I watch as his right hand is posed over me a moment before Kyvek rams the palm of his hand into forehead, right between my eyes.
Everything goes black, followed by long, painful, disembodied moments. I passingly wonder if the sniper had finally taken his shot and killed me.
Eventually color finds the blackness, reds and blues spreading out over the blackness like oil on water. Everything hurts. I can make out Kyvek's voice, though his exact words escape me. His words sound distorted and distant, as if spoken underwater, mere noise rather than coherent language.
My eyes finally open. I stare out into the brilliantly blue desert sky. My eyes are still seeing double. I can feel the heat from the asphault slowly rising up into my body. I can make out the thick, liquid iron taste of blood in my mouth.
Kyvek's stark voice finally coaleses into words. "...apparently, some among the class thought they could make noise while standing in ranks. So that means our first training evolution will be postponed until after you report, as a class, to the Discipline Shed, and there Sergeants Uouller and Karush will see to your remediation ...." I hear the sound of Class 5242's double-timed footsteps fade away as they make their way off the Grinder.
I keep waiting to the hear the boom of a sniper rifle or to feel the poison begin to destroy my body as I slowly try to find the ability to move. I pull myself to my stomach, then push up painfully, to my knees, swaying as I blink into the bright desert sun. The dark blur that I think is Kyvek appears to be standing a couple meters in front of me, again at parade rest. His head seems to tilt a bit as he considers me.
My shoulder blades seem to tingle, waiting for the inevitable sniper shot that will kill me. I blink repeatedly, trying to get my eyes to focus, doing my best to measure the distance between me and Staff Sergeant Kyvek. I'm more desperate than determined. I don't care if I die, I just don't want to die on my knees. I think frantically, struggling to cut through the dizzy haze in my head. I might be able to reach him if I can move fast enough. And perhaps I can find a way to put him between me and the sniper....
My eyes finally recover enough that Kyvek's face comes into focus, and I'm surprised to see a look of shared amusement. His grin is that of someone enjoying an inside joke.
"If you're wondering, there are three sniper teams, set up in such a way that at least one of them will always have a clear shot." I notice the growing bruise on the right side of his face, where my punch grazed him. "You're lucky I didn't actually end the exercise. As you know, to touch an instructor except when expressly ordered to means your formerly commuted sentence is quickly carried out."
Kyvek turns to the side, scanning the horizon, and he seems to calculate in his head. From his profile, I can tell his nose has been broken many times, twisted into a broken hook. Combined with his measured gaze it gives him the appearance of a bird of prey "I would say, at this range, with the wind and convection currents from the heat, you could make maybe...three meters...before one or more of the rounds finds you. Which is why I'm standing four meters away."
He grins again, and his expression shows more camaraderie than scorn, and it seems shockingly out of place on his previously sneering visage. "But....it would almost be worth it wouldn't it? Have one last shot at an instructor?" His voice carries a faint but distinct echo of the same burning need that all of us feel in Class 5242; the desire to spite the goddamn instructors however we could, even if it means going through hell to do it.
I'm literally struck dumb by his statements. It suddenly dawns on me that he too, once was in this class, that he too came through the Farm. That he too went through this training. Which means he too, must have hated his instructors.
My mind runs away from the idea that there is a logic to this. My thoughts refuse to acknowledge that there is a purpose behind any of this beyond base cruelty and savagery. I don't want to see the big picture. I don't want to loose my hatred.
I need my hatred. I refuse to let go on it, clinging to it like a drowning man would a life preserver.
It's surprisingly easy to hold onto. The urge to rush him is still strong.
His face seems to slip back, the now-familiar mask of contempt and scorn replacing the brief glimpse of humanity I saw before. "Now, Bookend, you seem to have lost your Class. Double time it back to the Discipline Shed and report for class discipline. Then get back here with the rest of your Class." His voice is again laden with cold contempt.
My battered body seems to spring to battered life at his order, and I find myself on my feet and heading to the Shed without a conscious thought, my body conditioned to respond to orders faster than to my own mind. I'm surprised that I can make some painful semblance of a jog as I make my way to the Shed. I can barely make out Kyvek's muttered words as I run toward the grim looking Discipline Shed.
"We'll make Valklear of you yet..."
No comments:
Post a Comment